Monday 18 February 2013

Mary Berry (what a fitting name!)


Mary Berry. What more can you say? What more do you need to say? Dubbed the queen of cakes, she is my favourite baker and probably one of the most pleasant to view on TV. (No, I do not have a dirty mind. Naughty!) Having been on TV for four decades now, she has recently come back on view with The Great British Bake Off which has shot her profile through the roof, particularly with younger bakers. And through all of this, what has arisen, a new fashion icon! (I know!)

Mary Berry in her gorgeous floral blazer

Her recipes stand the test of time, as proven on the recent BBC 2 show The Mary Berry Story, and are probably the most full-proof. Her recipes are unbelievably simply but incredibly delicious and satisfying, with all her ingredients readily available.

She has many great recipes but one of my favourite recipes of hers is her simple cupcake recipe in Mary Berry 100 Cakes and Bakes. You can do anything with this recipe and it can only get better. It is sophisticated enough to give to someone as a present and simple enough to make with the kids.

Cupcakes Recipe from Mary Berry 100 Cakes and Bakes

Ingredients:

  • 100g (4oz) softened butter
  • 150g (5oz) self-raising flour 
  • 150g (5oz) caster sugar
  • 3tbsp milk 
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Butter icing:
  • 100g (4oz) butter, softened
  • 225g (8oz) icing sugar
  • 1/2tsp vanilla extract
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan, 160C/gas 4.
  2. Measure all the cupcake ingredients into a large bowl and blend until smooth. Spoon evenly between the paper cases.
  3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until well risen and brown. Cool the cupcakes on on cooling rack before frosting.
  4. Beat all the butter icing ingredients together until it is creamy and thick. Smooth or pipe over the cupcakes.
My Notes;
  • VITAL. Do not open the oven door until 15 minutes have passed and turn your cupcakes when they have 5 minutes left to get a nice, even golden colour. 
  • If you wish to make chocolate cupcakes, take out 1-2tbsp of flour and swap it for cocoa powder.
  • Add more milk if the mixture seems a bit dry.
  • You can add any extras to the mixture once it is all blended. Chopped apple, raspberries, blueberries  chocolate chips etc. Stir the extra ingredients in with a spatula, making sure not to crush them.(Don't worry, nothing happens if you do crush them)
  • To get even cupcakes, I like to use an ice cream scope and place one scope in each case. Or if we are being really precise, 40g of mixture into each case. (Yes, I sat there and worked this out)
  • Once you put the mixture into the cupcake, smooth the top with a teaspoon to get a smooth finish. (Do you want nice cupcakes?
  • I like to add 1tsp of vanilla extract and vanilla essence works just as well.
  • If I am making a butter icing, I have found that I need 150g butter to have enough icing to pipe on all the cupcakes. I also like to use 125g icing sugar instead of 225g because I find that is too sweet for me otherwise. 

Apple pie cupcakes
I have added chopped apples to it to make apple pie cupcakes


Blueberry cupcake
I have added fresh raspberries and chopped chocolate to make a delicious treat.

Please feel free to leave comments. I will be more than happy to answer any queries.

Evelyn
  xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment