I have had my fair share of pancakes, and why not? Pancakes are probably the best breakfast food ever invented right? Personally, I think the best type of pancakes are American pancakes. For what seems like forever I have been trying to find a recipe that I really like, my go-to recipe if you wish. And now finally I have found it.
You can make these pancakes plain, add blueberries, chocolate chips or even bananas. I prefer them plain, served with a thick summer fruit sauce and maple syrup.
P.S. It might seem like there is a lot of elements to this and a fair few number of ingredients but I promise it is worth the effort.
> 230g plain flour
> 40g cornflour
> 1tsp salt
> 4tbsp Caster Sugar
> 1tsp Vanilla essence
> 1tsp baking powder
> 1tsp baking soda
> 2 large eggs
> 4tbsp melted butter
> 160ml milk
> 100ml, 150g plain yougurt
> 2tsp vinegar
1. Sift the plain flour, cornflour, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl. Add the sugar, vanilla essence and melted butter. Stir slightly.
2. Mix together the milk, plain yogurt and vinegar in a jug and leave to stand for a minute or two, this will make buttermilk.
3. Separate the eggs and add the yolk to the flour mixture. Whisk the whites and place aside.
4. Whisk the buttermilk into the flour mixture. Whisk until smooth.
5. Take one tablespoon of the egg whites and whisk it into the mixture. Fold the rest of the egg whites into the mixture.
6. You can make the pancakes straight away or leave the mixture in the fridges for up to two days.
7. When you want some pancakes, heat a frying pan and melt a knob of butter on a medium low heat. To make the perfect size pancakes add 1/3 of a cup of the mixture. If you are adding additional ingredients, now would be the time to do it before flipping the pancake. Flip the pancake when bubbles have started to form and the underside is golden.
8. Serve the pancakes in stacks of 3 with your choice of toppings.
9. Happy Pancake Eating!